About the cooking blog...

We enjoy a good meal. 99 out of 100 times, this good meal takes place in our kitchen. We don't eat out very often, and when we do, we're rarely "wow-ed" by the food we get. The following are recipes that have passed through our kitchen. They're not always winners, but we'll tell you if they're not, and what should be changed to make them better. Enjoy!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Time for some leafy greens

Virginia is always trying to get me to eat vegetables… and she doesn’t believe me when I tell her that, without a doubt, bacon is a vegetable. So, I saw Rachel Ray do something with some Chard.. and thought, hey, that looks decent, I could eat that! So… I went to the store, and bought some Kale. … … because I’m apparently not very smart.

This is what a pound and a half of washed and dried chard … I mean… Kale looks like.

and here we start getting things ready… since the original recipe I wanted to follow was for a different leafy green, I decided to throw that recipe away and shoot from the hip. So, in the pot, we’ve got about 2 TBSP of Vegetable Oil, 4 pieces of bacon chopped up, and 1 sweet onion worked over in the Slap Chop. At about medium-high, get the bacon brown and slightly crispy, and the onions soft and happy. Then start adding your Kale.

Get everything nice and happy together, mix it around and the Kale will shrink amazingly. After it’s been in the pot for a little bit, add a can of chicken broth. Get the broth boiling, and then take the heat down to a simmer. Add about 2TSP of salt, 1TSP of Nutmeg, and a handful of golden raisins. Then just let it simmer for 10 minutes or so to get all of the flavors playing well together.

Here is the final product, it’s not amazing to look at on a plate, but I’ll tell you… the stuff is tasty! It has kind of a southern collard greens feel to it, but the raisins and bacon give it a sweet and salty taste.  Normally, this is where I’d talk about things I’d change… but I think we got this one about dead on… It was a bit wasteful with a full can of chicken broth, so perhaps a smaller can would have been better…

1 comment:

  1. I actually used the surplus chick-broth and bacon residue to make up some mushrooms and spinach. Extra-vegie-licious!

    ReplyDelete